The Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics (NeuroMat, http://neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/ ), hosted by the University of São Paulo, Brazil, and funded by FAPESP (Sao Paulo Research Foundation, http://www.fapesp.br/en/), is offering severalpostdoctoral fellowships for recent PhDs with outstanding research potential.
The research will involve collaborations with Probabilists, Statisticians, Computer Scientists, Statistical Physicists and Neuroscientists associated to NeuroMat.
We seek candidates capable to develop independent research in one of the research lines below.
1. Mathematical and/or computational modeling of stochastic spiking neural networks.
2. Electroencephalographic data acquisition, processing and quantitative analysis.
Candidates are required to have at least one of the profiles below:
– A strong background in probability theory with emphasis on stochastic processes or alternatively in statistics with emphasis on statistical model selection. Previous knowledge of rigorous statistical mechanics, random graphs or stochastic modelling in biosciences will be favourably considered.
– A strong mathematical and/or computational background and experience with computers and programming. Previous experience with development and/or simulation of neural brain models, complex networks and parallel computing will be favourably considered.
– A strong background in neuroscience with previous experience in neurophysiological data acquisition, processing and analysis. Knowledge of computer programming will be favourably considered. Previous experience with multidisciplinary research teams is welcome.
– A strong background in computer science with experience in the development of algorithms, software tools and data bases. Previous research experience in neuroscience or related areas will be favourably considered.
The initial appointment is for two years, with a possible extension to up to four years, conditional on research progress. Salary is competitive at international level, and fellows benefit from extra funds for travel and research expenses plus limited support for relocation expenses.
Applicants should complete and submit the application form at http://neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/postdoc-form. The following documents and information are requested (please see the form for further details):
– Summary of the Curriculum vitae. Please follow the FAPESP format; see www.fapesp.br/en/6351 for instructions.
– List of publications, with links to those available online.
– Pointers to other research related output, such as software, web pages, and so forth. Candidates should be willing to send copies of publications, if requested.
– A summary of your research plan for the next 2 years, up to 5 pages length. It should explicitly address its place in the framework of the NeuroMat mission and research program (http://neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/scientific_project).
– Any further information deemed relevant to the application.
In addition to the above, we require at least 2 recommendation letters. Those should be mailed by the recommenders directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
1. On November 16, 2015.
Appointments are expected to be effective within 2 to 6 months after evaluation date.
Approved candidates will be requested to expand their five-page research plan to a full two-year proposal. For the implementation of the fellowships, those proposals, together with all the application material received, will be submitted to FAPESP for final approval.